Iraq opens investigation after Saudi Arabia intercepts three drones from Iraqi airspace

BAGHDAD — Iraq’s Foreign Ministry said Monday it had launched an investigation after Saudi Arabia reported intercepting three drones that entered its airspace from Iraq, expressing “deep concern” over the incident and calling on Riyadh to share information to help clarify what occurred.

The Saudi Ministry of Defense said Sunday it had intercepted and destroyed the three drones and reserved the right to respond “at the appropriate time and place.”

The Iraqi Foreign Ministry said no indication of such an incident had been recorded by Iraqi air defense systems or optical equipment, and reaffirmed Iraq’s “consistent position rejecting any attacks against friendly states.” It stressed the “deep historical and brotherly relations” between the two countries and said Baghdad remained committed to cooperating with Saudi Arabia to enhance regional security.

The Gulf Cooperation Council condemned the attack, calling it a “flagrant violation” of regional security and stability, and expressed support for Riyadh. Kuwait’s Foreign Ministry also condemned the incident as a “blatant violation of international law.”

The incident follows a pattern of drone attacks on Gulf states attributed to Iran-aligned Iraqi armed factions since the outbreak of the U.S.-Israeli conflict with Iran in late February. Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and the UAE have all summoned Iraqi diplomatic representatives in recent months to protest strikes launched from Iraqi territory.