UAE says six drones from Iraqi territory intercepted, with three targeting nuclear plant

BAGHDAD — The United Arab Emirates said Tuesday that six drones targeting civilian and vital areas over the past 48 hours had been intercepted and destroyed, with technical investigations confirming all originated from Iraqi territory — including three that had targeted the Barakah nuclear power plant in the Al Dhafra region.

The UAE Ministry of Defense said air defense systems “successfully detected and dealt with” the drones, with no casualties or damage to vital facilities recorded. It said two of the three drones targeting Barakah were intercepted while a third struck an electricity generator outside the inner perimeter of the station. The ministry said the UAE “retains its full right to take all necessary measures to protect its sovereignty and national security in accordance with international laws and conventions.”

Iraq’s Foreign Ministry condemned the strike on the UAE on Monday, expressing “full solidarity,” while the Iraqi government on Tuesday also condemned separate drone attacks on Saudi Arabia and reiterated its rejection of Iraqi territory being used to launch attacks against neighboring states.

Government spokesman Basim al-Awadi said Iraqi authorities had on the issue of strikes on Saudi Arabia “neither detected nor recorded any information related to Iraqi airspace concerning this matter” but said institutions were prepared to cooperate in verification.

Saudi Arabia said Sunday it had intercepted three drones from Iraqi airspace and reserved the right to respond “at the appropriate time and place.”

The incidents follow a pattern of drone attacks on Gulf states attributed to Iran-aligned Iraqi armed factions since the outbreak of the U.S.-Israeli conflict with Iran in late February. Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain and the UAE have all summoned Iraqi diplomatic representatives in recent months to protest strikes allegedly launched from Iraqi territory.