Historic residence of British advisor monument to early monarchy
TWEREEJ, Jan. 31 – Near Karbala in the town of Twereej, a historic house once belonging to British advisor Maj. Clive Kirkpatrick Daly persists as a significant but enigmatic emblem of the Iraqi monarchy era, post-1921. Erected subsequent to the 1922 treaty, which intensified the British advisory presence in major Iraqi cities, the residence is a piece of Iraq’s early modern heritage.
The house, found near the Hindiyah Irrigation Department in Al-Soob Al-Saghir, has become largely obscure and is enveloped in local lore of hauntings. Falah Al-Bayati, a respected historian, suggests that these myths stem from the property’s long-standing vacancy. A Baghdad merchant was its last reported owner before its abandonment.
Falah Al-Bayati, a historical researcher, detailed to 964media the dwelling’s architectural synthesis of Western and Eastern designs:
“Constructed with brick and steel beams, the building presents a front courtyard by the river-facing entrance on the first floor. The interior hosts a reception area, two bedrooms, and a room on the upper level. Windows secured with iron grilles are capped by distinct, small, sealed openings.
“Teak wood, intricately carved, forms the roofing and door structures,” he says. Room walls are fitted with cabinets sporting three compartments. A central staircase, rich with engravings, leads to an English-style heated bathroom.
“Above, the second floor extends into a lofty balcony, upheld by three pillars, with a commanding view of the Hindiyah River.”
A basement, adorned with aesthetic structural and wood carvings, displays the year of completion as 1925.